14:47, September 07 351 0 theguardian.com

2017-09-07 14:47:03
Former MP to sue Scotland Yard over child sexual abuse investigation

A former MP is to sue the Metropolitan police over their handling of the investigation into historical child sex abuse allegations against him.

Harvey Proctor was cleared by the Met in 2016 after the collapse of Operation Midland, the £2.5m investigation into accusations of a paedophile ring operating in Westminster.

Proctor told ITV News he had been “mentally and physically destroyed” by the claims. He said he planned to sue for loss of earnings and his home, and criticised police for failing to respond to his lawyers’ petition for compensation.

It comes after Northumbria police said they had passed a file to the Crown Prosecution Service to decide whether charges of perverting the course of justice and fraud will be brought against Proctor’s accuser, known as “Nick”.

“These are difficult matters and I wouldn’t want to negotiate on television what my lawyers are trying to settle with the lawyers for the police,” said Proctor. “But it obviously has to take account of the fact that a job I loved doing I can no longer do. I fully intended to work for another 10 years doing that job.

“It’s a job, not a physical job, and I could have done that. Also the house that went with the job, I expected to die in that house. I have no home now. I feel destroyed … mentally and physically destroyed because of the gravity of the allegations that were made against me.

“I don’t think anyone can say more evil things about another human being. That he had committed child sex abuse, the torture of children and the serial murder of three children. Horrible and it haunts me. And it is a festering wound that I’m fighting very hard to recover from.

“Nothing can undo the damage done to me.”

Proctor was the Conservative MP for Basildon from 1979 to 1983 and Billericay from 1983 to 1987. He retired from his job as private secretary to the Duke of Rutland on 25 March 2015 “with immediate effect”, three weeks after his home on the duke’s Belvoir estate in Leicestershire was searched by the Met as part of their investigation.

Last week, the Met announced it had agreed to pay Lord Bramall and Lady Brittan – the widow of former home secretary Leon Brittan - £100,000 each in compensation for raiding their homes during Operation Midland.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: “We have received a letter of claim and have been in recent communication with Mr Proctor’s legal representatives. We do not recognise what Mr Proctor has said about the delay.”