12:04, October 10 48 0 theguardian.com

2017-10-10 12:04:02
Harvey Weinstein: allegations mount as three women accuse him of rape

The sexual harassment scandal surrounding Harvey Weinstein deepened on Tuesday when three women accused the Hollywood producer of rape in the New Yorker, allegations he “unequivocally denied” through a spokeswoman.

The accusations come just days after nearly a dozen women recounted sexual harassment by Weinstein to the New York Times and other publications, causing the Weinstein production company to fire its once-formidable cofounder.

Asia Argento, an Italian actress and director, Lucia Evans, a former aspiring actress, and one unnamed women accused Weinstein of forcing them to engage in sex or sex acts in a piece authored by Ronan Farrow. The son of actress Mia Farrow, Ronan Farrow previously helped reignite his sister Dylan’s accusations that their father, Woody Allen, groomed and sexually assaulted her as a child, an allegation Allen denies.

Four other women told the magazine that Weinstein touched them without their consent in a way “that could be classified as an assault”.

Others including actors Mira Sorvino and Rosanna Arquette alleged sexual harassment on the part of the Hollywood mogul.

Farrow also revealed audio from 2015 New York Police Department sting operation in which Weinstein allegedly admits to groping Ambra Battilana Gutierrez, a model who reported his behavior, and said he was “used to” behaving that way.

“Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr Weinstein,” a spokeswoman told the New Yorker, adding that he never retaliated against women who refused his sexual advances. “Mr Weinstein obviously can’t speak to anonymous allegations, but with respect to any women who have made allegations on the record, Mr Weinstein believes that all of these relationships were consensual.”

After the Times article, Weinstein apologized for his past behavior but denied many of the specific allegations against him. Attorneys on Weinstein’s legal team denied that he engaged in illegal sexual harassment and have threatened to sue the Times over inaccurate statements. His team has not filed a libel suit or specified which statements are inaccurate.